4 required courses plus 60 hours of optional courses (120 hours)
Classroom, Online | Learn more
Complete in 4 months, or up to 3 years
Management development is a process in which individuals learn and improve their skills to be more effective managers and leaders while accomplishing organizational goals.
Whether you are preparing for a new position or want to build on your current supervisory or management role, our Management Development Extension Certificate covers the essential skills to help you work more effectively and further your career.
In this program, discover practical techniques for improving your communication skills, learn the fundamentals of human resources management, and increase your understanding of how to interpret, evaluate and analyze financial statements.Then, tailor your learning and choose from optional courses or one-day seminars in the areas of business aptitude, communications, human resources, and operations and leadership. As well, explore the difference between management and leadership with hands-on learning you can apply immediately in the workplace.
Highlights and benefits
Earn a recognized credential | Enhance your career prospects
Enhance your life | Develop your personal and professional skills
Gain hands-on experience | Demonstrate workplace competencies to potential employers
Blue Seal eligible | Apply for the Achievement in Business Competencies (Blue Seal) Certificate, which helps Alberta tradespeople demonstrate their business aptitude
Online delivery | Enjoy the flexibility of online learning and complete this program from anywhere
Get started with management basics
Interested in learning more about management but not yet ready to commit to the full program? Consider our Pillars of Management Certificate of Completion, which provides a strong foundation for management in just four courses. Should you decide to continue your management studies, your Pillars of Management courses may apply to the Management Development Extension Certificate.View program
Course schedule by semester
(Sept. - Dec.)
(Jan. - April)
(May - Aug.)
|Effective Workplace Communication||•||•||•|
|Human Resource Basics||•||•||•|
|Understanding and Using Financial Information||•||•||•|
Optional course offerings vary by semester.
- Supervision Core Skills (15 hours)
- Project Management: Overview and Integration (21 hours)
- Professional Sales Fundamentals (15 hours)
- Change Management Fundamentals (15 hours)
- Building High Performance Teams (15 hours)
- Management Through Coaching (21 hours)
- Effective Business Writing (15 hours)
- Marketing and Strategic Communications (15 hours)
- Performance Management (15 hours)
- Employee Relations (15 hours)
- Employee Retention for Managers (15 hours)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (15 hours)
- Succession Planning for Managers (15 hours)
- Organizational Learning and Development (15 hours)
- Employee Engagement (15 hours)
- Organizational Effectiveness (15 hours)
- Interviewing Strategies (15 hours)
Operations and leadership
- Emotional Intelligence at Work (15 hours)
- Effective Facilitation for Managers and Leaders (15 hours)
Optional one-day professional management seminars
The following optional one-day seminars can be applied to optional hours required for the completion of this certificate.These offerings vary by semester.
These seminar courses may also be applied toward the Professional Management Seminar Series Certificate of Completion.
- The Art of Leadership (7.5 hours)
- Leading with Emotional Intelligence (7.5 hours)
- Effective Interpersonal Communication (7.5 hours)
- Performance Management Seminar (7.5 hours)
- Building Customer Relations (7.5 hours)
- Conflict Management (7.5 hours)
- Project Management Basics (7.5 hours)
This schedule is subject to change. Courses start on various dates within each semester. Fall schedule and registration is available in June; Winter schedule and registration is available in November; and Spring/Summer schedule and registration is available in March.